Terrified New Yorker Loses Expensive Equipment After Seeing ‘Bigfoot’

Posted on Jan 8 2015 - 12:03am by Cryptozoology News

NEW YORK– A man says he had a “Bigfoot” encounter near Cayuta Lake in Schuyler County.

John Swaney, a single father of two, said he and a friend were hiking along the Vanloon Road in Connecticut Hill when they encountered the beast in Dec. 8, 2013.

“It was around 8.30 a.m., about an hour till daylight, an hour or an hour and a half,” he told Leon Drew, a Crypto Crew researcher who claims to have been investigating the paranormal for six years.

Suddenly, Swaney said, they heard some noise that grabbed their attention.

“You could hear kind of a woosh!, woosh!, as if you are going through frozen grass,” he said.

That’s when the two noticed the purported cryptid, just at about 100 yards, getting off the road and walking under a tree branch toward a thick patch of woods.

“I could see the upper body, and as it was walking, it covered a lot of ground in between, you know, something that you and I would cover in two to three minutes. This thing was enormous.”

The animal was described by the witness as having “solid charcoal black” short hair and 4-foot wide shoulders.

“I could see like a shine to it, you could see the muscle mass to it. Judging by the branches I saw it go under, and going back to that, it was at least 9-feet tall. It had to duck down a little bit to bet under that branch. The branch stood at 8 feet and 4 inches,” Swaney recalls. “I never got a good look at the face, which is the most disappointing part of it. I wanna know what the face looks like. I could see the cheek, the cheek was covered,” he told Drew during the 14-minute-long interview, which was posted to YouTube on Jan. 2, 2015.

The two men reportedly observed the creature for about 15 seconds before it vanished into the woods.

Swaney claims he was so frightened over the alleged sighting that he left over $200 worth of hiking equipment behind.

“I was too scared. I was not about to go to look in the snow. I just wanted out of there.”

Purported Bigfoot tracks found by Swaney. Credit: Bigfoot,UFO Society
Purported Bigfoot tracks found by Swaney. Credit: Bigfoot, UFO Society

And even though the event has prompted the single father to do further research about the alleged beast, he has thus far only been able to find a few tracks and hear a “set of vocalizations”.

“We screamed and then immediately, we got a response,” said Swaney. “Every chance I get to go, I go. It’s really hard to get away with two children, I don’t have much free time. I’m very familiar with the woods, specially around here.”

He has now started a Facebook account, Bigfoot, UFO Society, where he and his friend, John, document their research.

” I know what I saw. I just want to educate people,” he said.

Connecticut Hill is an eight-mile trail considered to be the largest Wildlife Management Area in New York State. The area, dubbed by paranormal investigators as the Alpine Portal, is believed to be a hotspot for Bigfoot and UFO activity.

In 2007, a man reputedly had a similar encounter in the open field of an undisclosed location somewhere near the New York state border.

Rate this article
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (5 votes, average: 3.20 out of 5)

1. Mr Magoo January 10, 2015 at 3:43 am - Reply

I make a prediction…all the bigfooter`s will still be waiting for “proof” of their existence in another 5..nay,10 years time…I don`t say it doesn`t exist…in fact I think it probably does…but there are just SO MANY hoaxers and liars that the whole bigfooting thing is now a complete JOKE !!!

2. candy January 10, 2015 at 8:51 pm - Reply

i believe there is some truth to these reports…people who know they will be scrutinized arent just making up stuff.

3. Skyler January 14, 2015 at 12:11 am - Reply

I’ve lived on Connecticut Hill since 1999, and have never heard nor seen any signs of a bigfoot/Sasquatch creature, and I’ve spent A LOT of time in those woods, day and night.

4. Barbara January 14, 2015 at 5:27 am - Reply

Might believe it if the guy didnt have so many bs stories.

• john dorn January 26, 2015 at 12:27 pm - Reply

what bs stories you hearing hes only got one lady

5. sue January 16, 2015 at 3:14 pm - Reply

i live up here. I have lived her for 10 years. Ive never seen anything like that up here

6. Don Buyit January 16, 2015 at 9:12 pm - Reply

Since when is 8:30 am an hour to an hour and a half before daylight? And if it was before dayight, how did he see the muscles and cheek of a figure 100 yards away? Just a small sampling of the issues with this tall tale.

• john dorn January 26, 2015 at 12:25 pm - Reply

so my partner rushs his words and train of thought that day and now your gonna sit there all call it a tall tale.

7. john swaney January 26, 2015 at 7:59 pm - Reply

well barb lampman, aka (mrs gossip).you can say what you want.your the drama queen and the one that likes to spread bs about alot of people.im tired of biting my tongue with you.i dont give two shits what you have to say period!!!!you have nothing better to do other than sit your ass at home growing your garden and worried about what everyone else is doing around you.get a life!one in your own world, where you can’t bother anyone.yeah i hear alot of things from your “so called friends”yes ones that you think are close friends of yours and your sons.you talk to much.go fuck yourself!!! Anyone that talks to this crazy ass should beware that all you tell her will be told to the whole town with all kinds of stretching to”her story”,not the story you tell her.she needs a psych doctor.

8. john swaney January 26, 2015 at 8:06 pm - Reply

Don buyit.maybe you should get your facts straight.maybe you should listen better.we sat for a hour to a hour and a half after daylight befor we made a move to get deer moving by pushing a thicket.

9. john swaney January 26, 2015 at 8:26 pm - Reply

And sue.i have lived around here for a very long time.much longer than you.im 42 and grew up in those woods.this was the first time i have ever had something like that happen up there.but the funny thing is that alot of folks that live up there that we have interviewed also claim things as well.not all of them,but a good handfull of them have had things happen to them as well.are you on the tompkins side?my encounter was near cayuta lake in schuyler county,not tompkins.and also maybe you should check with your local game warden that was asked a few questions as well.he also lives on connecticut hill. 🙂

10. john swaney January 26, 2015 at 8:43 pm - Reply

Don buyit,I found the right report.my appologies,it was leon drews mistake or whoever wrote the written report.it was around 8:30ish.we had already sat for an hour to a hour and a half after daylight.

11. Tom Drew March 24, 2015 at 2:25 pm - Reply

Leon is my brother and he tells some very tall tales. I use to live on Griffin Rd and have photographed a good bit of Connecticut Hill. I can’t prove they don’t exist but sure have a hard time believing they do and no one has ever had something that didn’t turn out to be a hoax.

• John Swaney November 10, 2015 at 9:40 pm - Reply

hi Tom I don’t know if you remember me but I am PJ Swaney’s little brother.how is Matt doing these days?

12. Nancy Goodwin January 27, 2016 at 7:46 am - Reply

I completely believe there are things out there, that are supposedly not there….there’s supposedly no mountain lions here in schuyler county, but people have seen them and taken pics…whats to say a bigfoot isnt out there as well…just because someone hasn’t seen one for themselves doesn’t mean they don’t exist…you cant see air either but we know it exists and how many thousands of people believe in god but have never seen him either yet thousands and thousands of people hold him as their savior…being closed minded doesn’t mean something doesn’t exist..

13. Steve March 1, 2016 at 6:41 pm - Reply

You all need a reality check, Friend of mine last night just saw a Bigfoot on the side of the road, just past the security storage building right before the west Branch Cayuga inlet. He was heading towards Horseheads on route 13 Elmira road at 830ish at night said it was taller than his van slump bent over on the side of the road. Said it was tan in color what looked to be fur or short hair. Friend thinks it was getting ready to cross the road when he drove my it. said it was huge. Say’s he’s never seen anything like it. Gods honest truth. He’s still in disbelief and shock.

• John dorn November 28, 2016 at 9:53 pm - Reply