‘Mysterious’ Blue Lights Invade Woman’s Home

Posted on Sep 8 2014 - 4:31pm by Cryptozoology News

A Florida woman says that little blue lights invisible to the naked eye have taken over her house. The lights are visible through the lens of a camera.

The woman, who opted not to reveal her identity, captured footage showing the moment when round little lights the size of a pea, mostly of blue color, fly freely across her living room in an insect-like pattern.

She first saw them on a photo she had taken of someone in her home, but she thought it was just a reflection. So she moved the camera around and that’s when she realized the house was full of them.

And while at first sight the phenomenon appears to be just dust particles, John Bomhoff, who has been a videographer and editor for over 30 years, says he has never seen anything like this.

“An old friend of mine that I will call Sally came to my studio. She prefers not to reveal herself right now because she doesn’t want any personal attention brought to her or to her home,” Bomhoff said. “She just wants an explanation of what is starting to appear on her cell phone. She came to me thinking there was a logical explanation, like something involving cell phone pixel charges or lenses reflection or something like that,” he continued.

Reportedly, Sally had used a different cell phone and she kept getting the same results.

“The tiny blue dots of light appear randomly, and they are always moving quickly, I call them Blue Picketts,” the videographer explained.

At first, he says, he thought the lights were just some sort of bioluminescent insect, but he quickly dismissed that theory when Sally mentioned that they were invisible to the naked eye.

“I began to analyze the footage. A few things were obvious from the start,” he explains. “They are not reflections of anything, they move in directions totally unrelated to the camera movement, and they move just as much when the camera is still. They move much faster than the camera is moving, and although many seem to be straight lines, they are not all in straight lines.”

The lights also taken random turns and don’t seem to be afraid of the camera.

One of the lights is studied by Bomhoff as he finds out more about its body mass. Credit: John Bomhoff/Sally/YouTube

“That’s a more disturbing fact, they either move across the screen or at angles toward the camera.”

He figured that maybe “only the front half of this organism or particle glows”.

“How could I prove that? One way would be if one of them turned away from the camera in mid-travel. I just needed one that seemed to go dark in mid-travel. I looked, nope. There were no obvious cases of the particles suddenly going dark,” he explains. “It appears that they glow over, travel fast in straight lines, with occasional sudden turns and never away from the camera.”

But what if, Bomhoff theorizes, the camera wasn’t what the lights are attracted to? What if the attraction was actually Sally, the homeowner?

“What are the picketts themselves? Animal, vegetal or mineral? I moved in as close as my software would take me, which was 600%, and this is what emerged: the Samsung camera, like most cameras, shoots at approximately 30 frames per second. Most of the images are very spherical, except when they are moving very fast. This photographic trait is called motion blur.”

He found out that something was also moving inside the lights. Something, he says, more substantial and capable of encapsulating the seemingly gas-like shell of these organisms.

“These things have mass, it’s probably a tiny amount, but they are real. If you look at this frame in the middle of the turn…in the outside of the turn there is a clear rounded mass. It’s almost like centrifugal forces throwing it against the side.”

So Bomhoff decided to bring in his professional equipment. But the lights were not there anymore.

“I definitely do not doubt their existence. I saw the footage. But it was much warmer and drier,” he said.

He believes that the lack of “Blue Picketts” is some “sort of very small flying insect that disappears with warm dry weather”.

“I have no theories as to why they only show up on Sally’s phone. We will try again in the Fall.”

Bomhoff is asking for help trying to identify these “mysterious” blue lights.

In 1994, a similar phenomenon was discovered by Jose Escamilla while trying to film a UFO in Roswell, New Mexico.

The “air rods”, as researchers later referred to the oddity, are highly controversial as many believe there is proof that they are just flying insects traveling at high speed creating an optical effect.

1. Dave S September 11, 2014 at 9:46 pm - Reply

I have witnessed what appears to be exactly the same thing in a pub in the UK back around 2008.

We equipped a pub with multiple video cameras and video mixing equipment for recording live music events. On 2 of the cameras these “air rods” are clearly visible whenever the lights are low.

As far as them being insects, I doubt it. I have seen one pass right through a sheet of fibreboard, and they seem immune to the strong air currents produced by a desk fan.

2. Samantha September 13, 2014 at 1:01 am - Reply

I understand these to be ‘orbs’. There has been an orb the size of a football(soccer) which I have seen twice at my mums house when I lived there. It was bouncing on the ceiling. Then it whizzed around the room so fast it left a trail long enough that the front caught up to the rear if it. It then stopped dead, I believe it noticed me standing there in the doorway in complete ore admiring it. (I was only a teenager 17 the 1st time and 19the second. I knew what it was and I wasn’t scared). It then shot diagonally across the room and through the wall.

A separate unrelated incident which occurred when I was 10 happened in the kitchen when a knife lifted itself from the counter in front of me, dropped and vibrated at a rapid rate. I tried in vane to repeat the movement, but could not. This event did scare me, though I chose not to tell my sister who was next door in the lounge at the time.

The house was built in the 70’s in Hampshire England. It was the show home for the development but we were the second family to live there, and to my knowledge has not experienced anything else.

• Alan Lowey May 1, 2015 at 11:55 pm - Reply

I suspect that the ‘flying through the wall” is a defensive trick played by the insect-like entity: if it changed direction at the the last possible moment and also switched off it’s bioluminescense, then the special micro particles that emit the strange light might even pass through ‘solid’ objects such as wood and glass. The entity would fly back in the reverse direction completely unseen and therefore safe.

3. Joe September 14, 2014 at 4:30 am - Reply

Oh for heaven’s sake. This is dust motes reflecting light into the (more sensitive) camera lens.

4. jimvandamme September 14, 2014 at 4:53 am - Reply

Does the camera have an “invisible” autofocus illumination LED? It might be visible to the lens, in which case the “picketts” could be tiny bugs flying right in front of the camera. They are out of focus of course, and show in false color because of the camera response.

5. Jimmy Smith September 14, 2014 at 7:56 am - Reply

She’s an idiot like most nuts on this site.

6. Marshall Cypress September 14, 2014 at 8:22 am - Reply

dust and bugs people that’s all this is.

7. RationalExplanation September 14, 2014 at 8:42 am - Reply

This same “phenomenon” is seen frequently in hundreds of thousands of homes with newer games consoles featuring Kinect and Playstation4 cameras.

The infrared tacking system, which is invisible to the naked eye, is quite visible to most digital camera lenses. When tracking targets or measuring depth of field, these pinpricks of light can move and change direction often. For an easy and reproducible way to see this for yourself (even without a next gen gaming console) just take your tv remote control and point it at your cell phone camera, so you can see the emitter in the frame of the picture. Then press buttons on the remote. Notice how you see no visible light with the naked eye but through your camera you can see the light from the remote?

The only mass these lights have is the typical mass of photons… There’s no mystery organism, it’s just light in the infrared spectrum, folks.

8. Merlin September 14, 2014 at 9:34 am - Reply

Seriously? You still don’t know what it is? Take your phone and put the video mode on with the light on. LED lights are in the blue spectrum and are shining on the dust particles and thats why you can see them with the naked eye. To prove it, video and smack your couch.

9. Bat September 14, 2014 at 10:07 am - Reply

These are orbs associated with ghosts/spirits. Nothing new. Search youtube for ‘ghost hunting orbs’.

10. Rod September 14, 2014 at 10:09 am - Reply

Yes gentleman, it could be ALL those things! Or they could just be cat dander blown about when the air conditioner turns on.

11. jayessell September 14, 2014 at 7:16 pm - Reply

Just as an iceberg is 90% below the surface, what they are seeing is multi-dimensional organisms slightly protruding into our 3 dimensional world.
    Of course these are misinterpreted as ‘spirits’.

12. Freakingawesome September 14, 2014 at 10:23 pm - Reply

I’m not saying it was aliens. But it was aliens.

13. crimson halo September 15, 2014 at 4:57 am - Reply

These are dust particles.

The effect is exactly the same as I was able to duplicate in my own home two nights ago using my cellphone camera with its LED light set to ‘Steady ON’.

The light illuminates the dust particles as they come close, and because autofocus cannot properly correct for the very close distance between the particle and the camera lens, each out-of-focus particle takes on the much larger shape of a distorted circle or polygon, depending upon the geometry of the lens elements and aperture in the camera.

That’s also why you can’t see them normally with your eyes.

14. Liza Segleau November 11, 2014 at 5:52 am - Reply

These are known as orbs. In the Paranormal field we know that orbs are caused by bugs, dust or balls of energy that are released into the environment by electrical systems we have all around us. Dust and energy orbs are inert and don’t have any impact on anything. We have been able to reproduce orbs of all kinds in laboratories. Some people become very attached to them and want to believe these orb are something meaningful. In the paranormal field, we no longer chase or worry about them. We know what they are.

15. Freda Watson June 5, 2015 at 7:27 pm - Reply

THEY ARE ORBS/SPIRITS. There is more to this world than what you can see with your naked eyes…People who say they are just dust particles or from the light off the camera as so stupid. Most of the people on this planet are thick.