Multiple Witnesses Spot 19-Foot-Long Bird in Alabama Lake

Posted on Apr 22 2015 - 10:12pm by Cryptozoology News

DADEVILLE, Ala. — A 53-year-old man says he and another person witnessed an “ungodly huge black bird” flying over their heads while boating in an Alabama lake.

Lake Martin Giant Bird Sighting

Eclectic resident Jeff Wallace, who works as an engineers assistant, told Cryptozoology News that he was at Martin Lake Reservoir on a “midnight boat ride” with his family, mostly children, when they spotted the feathered creature at about 10 p.m. in July of 1998.

“I was running about 20 mph and this thing was gliding overhead and looking down into the boat,” Wallace said. “This incredibly large bird was gliding above our boat and keeping pace in a glide. As I was looking up at it, I saw its head moving, as if taking stock of the contents of the boat. My daughter’s boyfriend Bo Dreher eventually noticed me looking upward and looked up to see what I was entranced about, he looked just in time to see the bird flair its wingtips and disappear into the dark night sky. We were the only two in the boat that even noticed it.”

The boat, Wallace said, was about 19 feet long and the alleged bird was “almost as big”.

“It had a wingspan three to four times as wide as our boat. It was jet black, darker than the night sky. Its wings were flat across the tips as it glided, but flared out as it turned and flew off and upward to the South. The estimated wingspan would be about 20 to 30 feet. The birds body shape was that of a raven or crow, but extremely large. It had finger-like feathers.”

The man states that the sighting didn’t last longer than 10 or 15 seconds.

He believes that what they saw that night was an Argentavis magnificens, also known as Terrator and believed to be extinct. Remains of this bird, which lived in Argentina about 6 million years ago, were found by curator at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County Kenneth Campbell.

“After doing a little research, I found this. This is what we saw that night,” Wallace explained.

Kenneth Campbell poses with a reproduction of the bird remains he found in the 1980s. Credit: Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County

Wallace believes that the animal was looking down at them from about 12 feet above the boat, and that it could have easily carried one of the smaller children away.

“Not me,… and still fly, anyway. I would have been quite a load for this bird, even back then.”

The man, a Florida native, says that the sighting  was “earth shattering” and that it changed his “whole view of the world” and that he was not under the influence of any substance.

“Definitely not. My father didn’t allow drinking at all. No drinking is, was or ever was allowed at his lake house. I had eight to nine children in the boat. I’m sure this thing saw my boat zipping across that dark lake that night and came down to have a look. I’m just glad I wasn’t the only one on board who saw it,” Wallace said. “Seems the more you talk about these things, the more most folks think you’re nut cakes. Could care less who believes me or not.”

In 1927, a similar event took place in the Australian town of Fernvale when a few giant birds visited the area, causing panic among the town’s residents.

In 2012, an Ontario man photographed a large bird while fishing at Lake Huron with his father.

Lake Martin is a 44,000-acre lake located in Tallapoosa, Elmore and Coosa counties. It is formed by the dam built on the Tallapoosa River. In 2011, an EF4 tornado destroyed life and property across the lake.

1. Mary Katherine April 24, 2015 at 1:04 pm - Reply

Wow!! I remember the Ontario Man and that man who saw one flying next to his small airplane. Heard of a lot of people out west talk about seeing the Thunderbirds.. Never hear of one in Alabama until now! Makes you stop and think especially out in the open fields, lakes or rivers. I would have to hit the thick woods for cover and protection. Remember also about the little boy that a huge bird try to pick him up. These people are seeing something that is real.! After having my encounters of Bigfoot and they flax I got I know what Jeff is talking about.. He knows what he and the other man saw! They will never be the same again. So many people will not even allow themself to think outside of the box. This is a big world and every year new creatures are being discovered. Some that was believe to be extinct like the Coelacanth fish . Only bad thing is if you don’t have your PhD behind it, or a dead body on a slab, people thinks you’re crazy.. Great story and thank you Jeff Wallace for sharing your story.. Hey are you by any chance related to the late Governor George Wallace ? He and my Grandfather were good friends.. Keep looking up….

2. Jeff Wallace April 24, 2015 at 4:22 pm - Reply

Not that I know of Mary,… at least, he never came to any of our family Re-Unions 🙂

3. David Pringle April 24, 2015 at 5:38 pm - Reply

The giant bird that tried to pick up the boy that was running from it was in Illinois,so they have been spotted all over.

4. Edgars F April 25, 2015 at 8:07 pm - Reply

For what’s it worth…

My older brother and then sister in law were on vacation in Panama City Beach, FL in 2006. They had boated out the Shell Island Nature preserve next to PCB to hunt for sand dollars and shells. They were out there for several hours having left their boat moored out 25 feet from shore. On their way back to the boat and half way out. Both saw what they describe as 20 foot Raven thrashing out from the bush behind them and it spent five minutes hunting for something in surf.

Both my Brother and former sister in law described the thing as a Raven or large Crow. My brother swears that with wings folded this thing stood at least 5-6 feet tall from talons to head. He compared its size against the background bushes they had just came through.

My brother is very creditable in that he is an IT professional and in his college years was Field Investigator for MUFON and NICAP back in late 60s early 70s. Both were extremely terrified by the size and especially when it began to flap its wings Even though the fear my Brother attempted to get back to boat in order to grab his camera (he had left it in the boat since they had to wade to shore) but with no luck. By the time he got in and pulled it out the bird took off and flew directly over head. My brother estimates the wing span had to be at least 20 feet. The shadow literally blotted out the sun as flew over head.

Swears he’s never going back to Shell Island again as well as my ex sister-in-law.

At the time Panama City Beach was experiencing a ‘red tide’ infestation and just before their stay down there Panama City Beach was experience massive beaching of marine life. So evidently this thing was looking for snacks I suppose.

Edgars F
    Cultural Anthropology Degree Holder and Former MUFON investigator.

5. aubrey bachelor April 29, 2015 at 7:40 pm - Reply

just discovered your site. I LOVE it, and this article was bomb! Check out my page on facebook!!

6. Henky June 22, 2015 at 5:27 am - Reply

I saw that gigantic bird once when I was a kid at three grade school in 1983. my father took me in a forrest near to my house. that bird was standing on top of a three across the river in front of me. it was 1.5 adult human tall and black colour. I told my dad what I saw but he could not seen that thing because so many tree also it was not moving a lot, I could not forget what I saw. it was a spooky encounter.

7. Joyce September 18, 2016 at 9:25 pm - Reply

In 2015 , I was leaving Birmingham Alabama headed south on the interstate about 30 minutes out something on the left catches my eye . I saw a giant bird gliding down the tree line ,dipping just behind them , as it got to a dip in the tree line it’s wing went down then came back up , it was black or dark gray and came to a point , wing was about 10 foot , no feathers , as the wing came up it banked to the right and I lost sight of it , really freaked me out .