‘Massive Winged Creature’ Photographed in Canada

Posted on Dec 22 2014 - 8:56pm by Cryptozoology News

SPANISH, Ontario– A fisherman in Canada has released a picture of a “massive winged creature” he believes could be “Thunderbird”.

Mark says he was fishing at Lake Huron with his father when they spotted the large bird.

“It was north  of  the  Manitoulin Island by the main land . The closest village  is  Spanish,” he told Thomas Marcum last week, founder of The Crypto Crew, a paranormal research organization.

The shared picture, reportedly taken by Mark in the summer of 2012, depicts a big-sized bird initially resembling a juvenile bald eagle. Young bald eagles lack the white-feathered head typical of the species.

But Mark says he was “able to identify” other eagles and seagulls the day of the sighting and that this bird was definitely an “unknown species”.

A large bird is seen over Lake Huron near the town of Spanish, Ontario. Credit: Mark/The Crypto Crew

“It was very high in the sky . Other birds were in the area for comparison,  flying around at different altitudes, but which were much smaller and not near as high up,” the fisherman explained. “What I  took a picture of that day really stood out and was much larger. Truly a massive winged creature.”

Thunderbird, also known as Roc, is the nomenclature used by Native Americans to refer to bird-like creatures with reptile features that are believed to be related to the extinct pterosaurs.

In 1890, Arizona newspaper The Tombstone Epitaph reported that two ranchers had allegedly killed a “winged monster” similar to an alligator in the desert between the Whetsone and Huachuca mountains.

Marcum, who pointed out a discrepancy concerning the date of the sighting, says that even though it is very hard to positively identify the animal as a Thunderbird, it certainly appears to be a “rather large” bird.

“The sighting date with the photo is June 8th, 2012, and the photo has a date of 5/31/2011,” explained Marcum. “It’s not a big deal, but if you don’t point out stuff like this, people raise red flags. Most likely this was due to a change in batteries. Mark did a nice job of at least getting a picture of the bird.”

Last August, a man in Michigan claimed to have seen a “giant bird” with a 10-foot wingspan.

The town of Spanish, formerly known as Shedden, is located where the Spanish River meets Lake Huron and has a population of 700.

Rate this article
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (5 votes, average: 4.40 out of 5)

1. Patrick December 24, 2014 at 4:06 am - Reply

Wondering if it’s a surviving specimen of the Washington’s Eagle documented by Audobon, but now extinct.

2. utvhw-47tyg April 23, 2015 at 2:00 pm - Reply

Why doesn’t he think this is a turkey vulture?

3. Jeff Wallace April 24, 2015 at 4:33 pm - Reply

I’ve seen one of these things myself,… when you see it you’ll know,… it’s many times larger than any known eagle or condor,… the photo over Lake Huron is (in body shape), identical to the bird we saw that dark night in July, 1998, on Lake Martin near Dadeville, Alabama. I only wish more people who have seen these things would report them, but I do understand why they don’t. I also wish more people paid attention to their surroundings. They all seem to be so caught up inside their own “personal space”,… they’re missing out on what’s going on in the peripheral,…

• Kelly December 7, 2015 at 9:59 pm - Reply

You are exactly right Jeff, when you see one you’ll know! I saw one when i lived in rural Texas back in 95 and the second I saw it I knew right away it was no regular bird, almost like I felt it and it was massive I can’t say for certain how big it was but it had to have been at least 15+ feet wingspan, it sat on my gate at the end of my driveway about 50 feet away and its wingspan was wider than my driveway when it went to leave. It never occured to me to report it, to whom….. I had no picture and at the time I had never heard of this before I just thought to myself that’s one frickin big bird and then years later I started hearing about other sightings. I sure wish I had a photo of it because it was pretty close and sitting on my gate for a minute. Anyhow Jeff is exactly right when you see one you’ll KNOW IT without a doubt.

4. Rev Elations May 2, 2015 at 2:37 am - Reply

I don`t know that the date anomaly is relevant…I have several electronic items where I have an incorrect date displayed…one item is 3 years out of sync…many people don`t bother to set the correct date simply because they don`t know how to do it…some Chinese manufactured items are extremely difficult to date change.

5. Norene St.Martin September 20, 2015 at 6:48 pm - Reply

this is a lot like what my Husband and I saw on July 25th 2015, it flew over us at a really high altitude . What amazed us the most was that it just kept flapping it’s wings never stopping. The size and shear strength of this bird was nothing we have ever seen before . I think what we witnessed was a once in a life time sighting . When I first noticed this thing I originally thought it was a small plane that was crossing over a large jet that had just flew under it in the other direction !

6. matt September 26, 2015 at 3:53 am - Reply

what on earth does an animal that big eat ?… im by no means dismissing the idea, im raising a two day old chick at moment and she cant get enough meal worms.

7. beachhopper December 1, 2015 at 7:50 am - Reply

My daughter and I also saw one of these giant birds. It was flying higher up in the sky than the other birds (a couple of bald eagles, and seagulls), it was on a mission (straight across the sky, no turning, slowing, or gliding) and it’s wing beats were somehow different than the eagles…..I don’t know how to explain it, but they were different. It was HUGE as it was definitely higher up in the sky than the eagles, yet was bigger, much bigger……and had that different wing beat to it.

8. chris capwell March 20, 2016 at 11:29 am - Reply

The pic I see is A hawk form or Osprey.. However I am Author of facebooks”The Psuedodontorn Files” & looking for Giant Bird Witnesses, reports & pictures to display that are found credible by discription. I also intend on proving thier existance this year. So let’s do this.. contact me.!
    I will post credible found witnessings related to the actual real living bird I’m researching. Key words; Terratornis, Mothman, Psuedodontorn, Rothchildi’s Tern, Giant Bird Sightings, .ect. .

9. Issy hull March 31, 2016 at 1:57 pm - Reply

That’s the way a turkey buzzard look soaring high in the air, so its a Turkey Buzzard.

10. cliff April 4, 2016 at 6:05 pm - Reply

I seen this same type bird in the Adairsville ga area. I was flying a rc plane with a 14″ wingspan. the rc n bird was the same height. the bird was 6 times the width of the rc.

11. Dane April 11, 2016 at 8:24 am - Reply

I saw a very large and strange bird in North east Pennsylvania
    a couple years ago, i was driving in the car and noticed it, I thought at 1st it was a giant kite, hand glider, RC plane… ETC
    then it flapped it’s wings, and I couldn’t believe it. It had a long neck, round head, the wings were like a v, with the tips out in front of the head, and did not have a noticeable tail. When it flapped, the strokes were very slow, almost touching at the bottom, and only going a little higher at the top, than the position the wings were in while gliding. There were some crows flying about 70 yds away, and this this was about 500 yds away, and it made the crows look like rens in comparison. I had to drive up the road to stop, as it a junction of a main road, with nowhere to pull off. when i did it was to far away to take a picture.

12. Johnny Mitchell April 13, 2016 at 6:16 pm - Reply

I have seen a huge bird in south eastern pa, with at least a 20′ wingspan. This bird was dirty white, and I could see sunlight shining through the wings. It was circling without flapping its wings, if I hadn’t had on my Maui Jim polarized glasses I would have never saw this bird. It looked like a small Cessna airplane, but no sound, and the feathers were clearly noticeable. I got a bad feeling it was circling the four small children that were playing in the open field below this bird. I got my two children and their two cousins and told them to sit under the shaded tree nearby. Now, I watched this bird circle a couple more times and head west slowly. I put my phone up to take a pic, but the sun was just too strong to get any detail. The sun was directly above the bird. It was 11:00am. Took my glasses off for a second, and there was no way you could see the bird without them. I was and still am amazed at how big this bird was.

13. Norbert August 22, 2016 at 5:24 pm - Reply

This evening, 8-22-16, I was sitting in my backyard located in a subdivision suburb of Detroit when I noticed what I thought to be a small plane flying in a straight line, SE to NW. It flew this direction for a few seconds but then began to make large circles. It appeared to be at least 1000 feet or more in altitude but looked very large, like a small plane. It circled for about 10 seconds, flapping it’s wings only occasionally & then started flying East. At such a height it still looked quite large for a bird & I estimate that its wingspan to be at the very least 10 feet across if not more. This is the very largest “bird” I’ve ever seen, especially flying over a densely populated area with many planes & jets that fly over. If I were in California, I’d consider this to have been a Condor but Michigan has no such large birds as this.

14. tarn November 6, 2016 at 3:47 am - Reply

N O spell,s No

15. jason March 10, 2017 at 10:24 am - Reply

Looks like a Turkey Vulture. If your not used to seeing them they are much larger than eagles etc and are quite surprising in size and have their own type of wing beat/flying pattern. Also they are known to soar very very high up.