Connect with us

News

Fisherman Spots Giant Spider in Missouri River

missouri river

LEXINGTON, Mo. — A man had an eerie encounter Saturday while fishing the Missouri River on the stretch between Kansas City and Lexington, M0.

L. Smith, 45, claims he saw a strange “hairy critter” he wasn’t able to identify. The creature, he says, was at least five feet wide and had “long, hairy legs that looked like a spider.”

“I’m lucky to go fishing almost every weekend, wife allowing, so I know what kind of animals live around here. I have plenty of experience around the the woods and the river… It was around noon, I sit down a few mins for a smoke, when I start hearing dry leaves moving on the left. I turn my head to where I heard the noise and I see a huge, long pair of hairy legs grabbing my canteen that I had just placed there a few seconds ago. Sheesh, it scared the bejesus out of me, I almost swallowed the smoke.”

Movie Spider Island
Movie Spider Island

Smith says the incident only lasted a few seconds and that he wasn’t able to get many details of the creature. “It was fast, it felt like when a spider catches its prey. I can tell you the hairs on the legs looked black, very thick, attached to the legs, it reminded me of the quills of a porcupine, only I guarantee you that it was not a porcupine. Porcupines don’t have long legs like that. You seen those spiders from the cartoons when they come out of the quicksand? Something like that.”

Smith investigated the area where he claims the incident occurred, but he wasn’t able to find a hole on the ground where the alleged “spider” made its appearance.

“I know people won’t believe me, but that thing is not something you’d find any place in America. I don’t believe it either. That thing measured, I estimate, around five feet wide.”

A guide to cryptozoology by EberhartThe Jba Fofi, also known as the Congolese Giant spider, is well known among the natives of Central Africa. This cryptid arthropod is presumably has been a favorite subject of researchers across the world. Local stories tell these five foot spiders construct tunnels under the tree roots and then cover them with leaves, allowing them to ambush their prey. Their eggs are supposed to be yellow and the spiderlings a bright yellow and purple color. George Eberhart describes people’s encounters with these creatures in his book Mysterious Creatures: A Guide to Cryptozoology – Volume 1.

Naturalist Williams J. Gibbons writes he learned about these creatures from the natives while looking for the Mokele-Mbembe, an alleged living dinosaur: “These giant ground-dwelling spiders prey on the diminutive forest antelope, birds, and other small game, and are said to be extremely dangerous, not to mention highly venomous”.

Most of the Jba Fofi sightings have happened in Congo, although there are a few reports coming from Papua New Guinea (1942), Louisiana (1948), Cameroon (2001), Brazil (2011), and Texas (2013).

This is the first known report of a giant spider sighting in Missouri.

Continue Reading
7 Comments

7 Comments

1. James

September 10, 2014 at 7:12 am

What a load of rubbish. No one has a single picture of a five foot spider anyplace in the world.

There is this thing called gravity people. The spiders exoskeleton would be so heavy it could not move.

It is a shame that we have decided to wallow in ignorance and defund education. America is becoming the land of the stupid thinks to the party who is anti-education.

2. Bruce

October 16, 2014 at 12:47 pm

The ignorance i read in previous response tells me mankind has lost it’s natural believe in mysterie. We are searching for so called facts only and even if we stood eye to eye with the unexplainable we would simply call it a figment of our imagination.As long as we think everything invented by Apple is the best this world has ever seen, we are lost in a neverending flood of stupidness. A that my friends is what is happening right now and we can’t even see that. I hope the critters keep a save distant for i pitty the mysterie that will stumble on a human being.

3. Jimmy

October 29, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I think humanity lost its ability to spell and use grammer as well. Also Android is the best in the world, yo.

4. Kim

June 27, 2015 at 10:33 am

These spiders do exist. They were brought over by American Scientists to study the strength of the spider silk. Spider silk is extremely strong and flexes. Scientists hope to discover the secrets of the silk strength in order to help manufacture stronger steel cables and materials for applications for construction and space exploration. If James will check into Darwin’s Bark Spider and read carefully, he will find that spider webs can be as big as 80 feet. This is NOT rubbish, it is fact.

5. Kayakman

December 5, 2015 at 11:57 am

After reading James’ comment, I am reminded that as recently as 1997, there were numerous articles available on the internet explaining to all us ignorant morons why the giant squid cannot exist, all grounded in scientific fact and supported by the complete absence of even a single picture of a giant squid. When individuals across vast distances and separated by decades report the same thing, it may actually be true. Like the mountain gorilla, another famous load of rubbish until one was found in Africa prior to 1900. And just like the giant squid, all the learned articles explaining why this or that cannot possibly exist just disappear as soon as that thing appears. So we never get to see the accumulated mountain of condescending scientists who vehemently denied things like men EVER traveling to the moon (Albert Einstein) a helicopter that would ever fly, existence of the giant squid, or sea serpents (oarfish).
    Let us remember that the dispassionate self appointed experts supported beliefs like the Great Ocean Highway to Key West had blocked the Gulf Stream, causing disastrous winters in Europe after WWI, a case that made it all the way to the world court. Or that the polio epidemic in the US prior to WWII was caused by ice cream vendors selling bad ice cream on the street. Or that smoking was good for a cough by drying up the lungs, a commonly voiced expert opinion 50 years ago.

6. Cass B

January 26, 2016 at 2:43 pm

I you don’t believe there are huge spiders like this in Missouri go to eagles Bluff near Columbia Missouri, find a big fallen hollowed tree near the river and sit there for a while.

Me and a friend did just this about ten years ago, we sat down close to each other. Just a few inches apart, he turned and asked me if something was on his back.

I looked and there was the biggest spider I had ever seen, scared the you know what out of me. It spanned the width of his very broad back!

7. Jeff

June 5, 2017 at 7:07 pm

When I was a child,oh I’d say around 1978 was in my grandfather’s garage..I saw a spider unlike anything I’ve ever saw before. It had a elongated thorax,was brownish in color,hairy like a tarantula and as big around as a five gallon bucket as it was sitting on it..now kids eyes sometimes play tricks. But no one will convince me I was seeing things. It was real and scared the hell out of me.